FINAL LESSON: CHRISTINE "Twisted every way, what answer can I give? Am I to risk my life to win the chance to live?..." I didn't know what risk was then An, but I've learned so quickly You should be proud of me My teacher You gave me more than a voice You gave me a blade Razor-edged, diamond-hard Did you know all along I'd have nobody to turn it against but you? You should have left me in my little shadows Instead of thrusting me into the spotlight And pulling me into your shadows Did you think I could Lead you out of your darkness? I knew nothing of darkness What I know of it now Is what you have taught me How can I know how to free you from it? I wish I did know You must believe me when I say that I don't want to destroy you I'm not so apt a pupil That I have learned your hate But it is your hate that gives me no choice Let him go, Erik Let me go Let the student become the teacher now You cannot earn love from hate You cannot earn compassion by killing Though you kill all of Paris Though you hate all the world Please, you must understand that I cannot hate you now In spite of what you've done But if you kill him I think that I will learn how You want my love Which I cannot give So, it is you who must choose Do you want my pity as a poor substitute Or my hatred? Learn from me now, teacher I weep for your imprisonment But I cannot share it You put up these bars against the world A world to which I belong I do not belong here I cannot stay And though I cannot bring you with me For your world binds you as tightly I will remember always We have found a place Where two worlds may meet I hope I have brought you a little light I wish I had more to give But the light that I have Would grow cold here and die I cannot stay Please say you understand It's so difficult to say I don't want to leave you in sorrow But I must Is it enough that I share your sadness? "Pitiful creature of darkness, What kind of life have you known? God give me courage to show you You are not alone!" --Valerie Lynn Meachum Spring 1989 (with many thanks to Charles Hart, for the words from Christine's mouth that let me inside her mind)